Searching...

I Was Made For Sunny Days

I just asked my roommate what she would want to read about on this blog, right now, today and she said, "I would want to read about how to cope with cold weather when you are just not ready for it."

Which is a really good idea because it was around 1 million degrees here until just the past few days, when it suddenly become 1 degree and we are freezing cold and all my sweaters and boots are still in the basement and my oh my but what is a girl to do?

So, if you are similarly trying to hold on to the slipping sands of summer, here are a few tips to keep some of your favorite warm weather wardrobe staples around for a little while longer.


Crop Jeans
You might have been wearing them with flip flops and sandals, but crop jeans can be winterized with some tall boots instead. I also do this with dressier capris and it looks pretty classy, if I do say so myself. Just be sure the cut of the pant is wide enough to accommodate the boot. If it's a skinny cut it just won't end well for anyone.

T-shirts
Your favorite graphic tees are perfect under a well-fitting military style jacket or a tight leather coat (oh la la!) and are also great to layer under your cozy fall flannels and sweaters. Layering t-shirts is also an awesome way to break the mold with some pattern mixing. Just this weekend I paired a striped tee with a plaid flannel! I know, the mind boggles. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Tank tops
This is another great layering option, over long-sleeved shirts or under sweaters, jackets and blazers. Can you think of anything more comfortable than your well-worn summer favorite and a slouchy boyfriend blazer or cozy long cardigan? Me neither. In fact, I might go put one on right now. Also, try layering your tanks over collared shirts for a snazzy twist on the business vest.

Summer skirts
These are always the hardest to say good-bye to. Because skirts and summer are like chocolate and peanut butter or unicorns and glitter, as that insurance commercial lady would tell us. But, you can stretch your summer skirts a little longer by adding dark-colored tights and boots or ballet flats. If you are particularly gutsy, think about pairing a shorter skirt with some knee high socks or stockings. Actually, why don't you give that one a try, too. And let me know how it goes.

Shorts
I am just going to put it out there that shorts and tights are my new favorite thing. I think it works pretty well with longer, straight cut walking shorts, but a little shorter sort of flared short with a textured tight and some rockin' booties are an even better option.

Summer accessories can also make the trip to winter with you. Just be a little creative with your color combinations. A light blue or turquoise necklace, for example, would really pop against an autumn-inspired olive-colored dress. Just because the sky is dark doesn't mean your accessories have to be, too.

And then, of course, there is my favorite cold weather coping mechanism, which is a blanket, a good book and my favorite oversized chair. Which is where I am headed now.

What warm weather wardrobe staples are you taking with you into the bleak mid-winter? And how are you going to do it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!